01845 523 131 enquiries@toddpak.co.uk


Answers to some common questions about packaging compliance and our service
Who is affected by the regulations?

The regulations apply to companies, groups of companies, partnerships or sole traders who carry out packaging activities or functions within the ‘packaging chain’, have a turnover of more than £2 million and handle more than 50 tonnes of packaging in a calendar year.

If a company within a group is below these thresholds does that company need to register?

Yes. If a group is obligated then all subsidiaries will be obligated by aggregation and will need to register and provide data on any packaging that they carry out an activity on.

What is the ‘packaging chain’?

The packaging chain comprises the four main stages of packaging activities:

  • Manufacturing raw materials for packaging
  • Converting raw materials into packaging
  • Packing and filling packaging
  • Selling packaging to the final user

In addition, any business that imports packaging or packaging materials can have additional obligations.

What is packaging?

Packaging is defined within the regulations as, ‘all products of any nature to be used for the containment, protection, handling, delivery and presentation of goods…’

What packaging materials are included?

The main materials are paper, glass, steel, aluminium, plastic and wood.
Other packaging materials such as hessian, cork, ceramics, jute and string are also included.

How is composite packaging recorded?

Under the regulations, composite packaging is classed as two or more materials which are not easily separable by hand. For recording purposes the weight of the packaging will be whichever is the predominant material by weight.

My company uses CHEP pallets. Do I need to include these on my data return?

No. CHEP pallets are rented by your company from CHEP UK Ltd and do not have to be included.

Are envelopes packaging?

No, unless they contain goods (e.g. mail order). Envelopes for junk mail, invoices, bank statements etc are not packaging.

As the regulations are from an EU Directive, if I directly import packaging from Europe am I still obligated?

Yes, if you are the first owner of the packaging you will probably be an importer. This applies not only to the EU imports but also to imports from any other parts of the world.

I purchase imported products from a UK supplier. Do I have to pick up the importer’s rolled-up obligation?

The obligation will lie with the person who first takes legal ownership of the packaging when it enters the UK. Rolled-up obligation means taking responsibility for any preceding packaging activities which took place abroad prior to the goods arriving in the UK.

If a customer asks me to provide them with information on the weight of packaging I have supplied them, am I legally obliged to do so?

No, but it is normal business practice to exchange such information where possible.

How long do I need to keep records for?

You will need to keep them for a minimum of 4 years. As the packaging regulations are a piece of environmental legislation, you may be audited by the Agencies at any time during such a period.

Are pubs and clubs the sellers of beer and wine bottles?

Yes. Following the Judicial Review in May 2002 the courts decided that the customer is the end user of the beer bottle. This means that the pub/club/hotel/restaurant is the seller of the bottle and not the brewer.

Are empty disposable cups supplied with bottles or cans packaging?

Plastic cups provided with cans or bottles perform no packaging function and are therefore not obligated. Conversely, disposable cups in which drinks are provided, for example tea or coffee from a coffee shop, are considered packaging.

Contact us

10 + 8 =